Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Seven is a lot more than Six!

Those people who say “Once you have four kids, you might as well have fourteen” are people who have four kids! As for me seven kids is a whole lot more than six! Life has been a little crazy around here, and I run from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. I finally did my toilets after four weeks-YUCK!

Seth is doing great! We’re moving along through his adjustment and attachment. It’s still a lot of work, but he’s progressing just like he should. We’ve moved from a large majority of our time together in the pack to transitioning him to play on a blanket. We’re working on having him do two twenty minute sessions of independent blanket time (i.e. playing legos or blocks) followed by 20minutes that he and I interact together. It’s been a bit challenging helping him learn to regulate himself, but he’s coming a long.

I’m seeing so many signs of him attaching. He’s more relaxed, will give affection when I ask, seeks to please me, will imitate my behavior, and makes good eye contact. I still feed him everything, but he’s progressed to drinking by himself. If I leave him with Derek or Nicole when I come back he's absolutely ecstatic and so excited.

I was over at a friends house and she has a little boy Seth’s exact age. I watched him eat dinner all by himself, and then get down and play and wander the house at will. “No wonder I’m so busy and tired”. It made me realize how much time and energy Seth is still taking. But he’s worth it! He’s healing his heart and his brain. I hope to find a minute and share more about this healing process. It’s been so fascinating.

He has the most delightful, fun loving, zest for life personality. He wanted to come in the shower and I told him he wouldn't like it 'cause there would be water splashing in his face. He insisted so I thought I'd just 'show him'. Instead he was squealing with delight and reveling in the new experience. We’ve all fallen totally in love with him, and now that he’s attached to me he can interact more with Derek and the other kids. They’re loving this, and it gives me somewhat of a break.

So, life is good, busy, but good. Hoping it will settle down just enough that I can start posting a bit more. I've missed it!


image signature

6 comments:

The Hendricks Family said...

The pictures of the kids with Seth are priceless. I love your posts. I can't wait to hear more about the attachment process. I am glad things are going well.

Anne said...

That is wonderful Cyndie!! Good news all around!

Janae' said...

Your family is all so adorable!!

The Brown Family said...

Cyndie, I know that I will sound like a wimp, but for me 4 was a whole lot more than 3. Probably for some of the same reasons you are feeling now. I was so tired, but not the taking care of a baby tired, it was more just the constant demands of being her primary communicator and working on attachment with an older child...plus I added some of my own concerns into the mix- would she be accepted at school, would she like family life, would she learn English- my concerns all proved silly, but they were at times emotionally draining anyway.

I'm glad that you are posting again and it has been fun to see you lately. You have such a great family!

Love
Kim

laurel said...

Glad to here things are going so well. I hope you will get some much needed rest. I am been so tired since we got home with out little one too. It is draining, but like you said, worth it! Hang in there.

The Mom said...

I'm loving all your pictures and posts :) Seth is darling - we love him!!! So glad he is attaching well - he was FOR SURE meant to be part of your family - I can just feel it everytime I see pics of him with your kids and see him with you :)

You are doing a wonderful job - seven is A LOT more than 6, and I'm with you - anyone that says after four you don't notice anymore, really only has four or less ;)